Sci-fi

dragoner

Sci-fi

Post by dragoner » Mon May 18, 2015 12:11 am

There is an old book store near me, while I have a reader, it is irresistible to go down into their basement and search through stacks, shelves, and even boxes of books on the floor. Recent score: Banks' Algebraist and McEnroe's Shattered Stars, plus a bunch of others. I have a tendency to find an author I like and then read all of the stuff I find by them, for example, I just finished a long Cherryh jaunt.

Eshu

Re: Sci-fi

Post by Eshu » Fri May 29, 2015 9:52 am

The convenience of an electronic device is great (I really wish more textbook distributors would use ebooks) but nothing beats the aroma of a bookstore, all that paper is almost as good as quality leather. :)

dragoner

Re: Sci-fi

Post by dragoner » Fri May 29, 2015 10:47 am

University textbooks still stand as the most expensive books I have ever bought, esp as a drag when you can't sell them back at the end of the semester. Leather is good, esp for shoes and jackets; though a lot of these books aren't fairing well, esp the 50's ones, the acid in the paper is eating them up, they crumble away. The bookstore will die with the owner, then they will tear down the building (it's old), to wipe away the last bit of soul this town has.