1110/135 Doctor Who?

Flonker

Re: 1110/135 Doctor Who?

Post by Flonker » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:00 am

dragoner wrote:"You do check out clean, and I am interested in signing on, I would like to hear a plan though."
Fusil chuckles. "First part of the plan is, get the hell outta here. We have a Droyne passenger we're taking home next week to Andor. At least, we think he's a 'him'. We're working on getting the permits to let us land him and his cargo along with some mail for the Scouts there, and find some stuff to trade. Then a quick jump over to Foreven Sector, some manuvering around, back into the Marches to Karin for refit and making the first payment on our loan, trading along the way. We plan on updating our databases at Karin as well. It'll give us an idea of where we want to go to spec trade our way up the food chain a bit. We're wanting to stay away from any 'holdouts' who haven't received the word that the war is over for a month or so, then fly to where the margins are wide and the profits are decent. This ship has fairly long 'legs', we could outdistance any normal Free Trader or Far Trader, get in, get out, get on."
Keven - Wyott Khade 876CB6 - "He did WHAT with a stick of butter?????"

forbin

Post by forbin » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:14 am

At the appropriate lull in the conversation, Elliott says, "Doctor, I do have a very important question for you. How do you feel about the possibility of the ship having to operate in 'grey areas'? By that, I mean that some of the most lucrative operations may be things that some authorities somewhere might frown upon. Before you answer, let me make it clear, we're not the sort of people who would harm innocent people or stand by and allow them to come to harm. But we may find it necessary to help one group of 'not particularly nice people' to deal with other similar groups, and be paid well for our troubles. You would not necessarily have to personally participate, but you would have to help take care of the crew. Are you comfortable with that possibility? Keep in mind: this ship was not cheap. Neither is a Kurgulash class... new or used. The flip side of that is that we wouldn't be adverse to refugee-support-type missions along the way, if that's what you might be looking for."
John B. | Elliott von Rossveldt, ship's CCS officer. | 2 5 9 B F B | 8 7 9 B F B

forbin

Post by forbin » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:24 am

Geris wrote:"There is benefit for all in this. Grateful populace leads to better trade possibilities. Plus there is always the option of taking on more pharmaceuticals to sell on to hospitals and private medical practitioners."
Elliott nods, clearly in deep agreement with that line of thought.
John B. | Elliott von Rossveldt, ship's CCS officer. | 2 5 9 B F B | 8 7 9 B F B

Flonker

Post by Flonker » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:32 am

Fusil nods. "I see no conflict in helping rebuild things. And I have no problem sneaking in something that is useful to some place where the Powers That Be consider it illegal, immoral, or bad for one's kharma, particularly if it's legal and accepted on the next world over. Part of what we intend to do out here is scout out the possibilities. Helping rebuild damaged societies benefits everybody. And I have no problem shooting at someone who's trying to keep people from rebuilding. If I see somebody trying to raid a planet, I don't have a problem stopping them however necessary, whatever it takes. Somebody said, way back once on Terra, that a rising tide lifts all boats. I kind of like the idea of pouring water into that tide to help it rise."

ducky

Post by ducky » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:44 am

Greg's eye glaze over as the political discussion takes place. As it winds down, he finally chimes in, "Growing up on Regina, having to vote on laws as a kid turned me off to legal and political matters. And having to avoid a nightmare of a court system made me yearn for the day I could bend the rules without dealing with the courts for months on end. You'll all have to pardon me if I take much more of an interest in ships schematics than societal blueprints. Like I said, blame it on my upbringing."

Looking at the Doctor, "One other thing that came out of that is killing is a last resort for fear of spending years in court." Glancing around at everyone else, "That's why I wasn't so quick to fight last night until there was a clear and present danger. Some murder trials on Regina were turned into multi-season shows. Always felt bad for the accused."

Switching back to the topic at hand, "All this talk of helping out people and societies out - sounds good to me as long as I don't have to drive. Doctor, nothing here sounds like it should give you any major moral dilemmas. From time to time something might make you uncomfortable, but I think we all have that at one time or another. You have any other questions for us about the day to day operations of the ship or what your role would be here?"
Alan | Greg Pike, gunner | 6 9 6 7 9 8

dragoner

Post by dragoner » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:56 am

The Doctor looks at all the gang, giving a bit of a smile, nodding to each individual as she touches on points of their conversations, "Grey Areas: yes, one would expect someone working the margin, to be in on the grift somewhat. Many a good and moral person, proud Imperial, or whatever has found themselves in the dock for piracy; I'm a Doctor, who comes across the operating table I try to save, and I have saved both Zhodani and Sword Worlder lives, even though neither of those two people are friends to the Darrians. As for the Imperium. I have worked with the IISS Medical Liaison Section of the Contact and Liaison Branch of the exploration office. They even donated me the general services 'bot I use as a med-tech; however, I have seen the Imperium leave the 'Marches weak, so as to invite attack by the Zhodani, and when attacked, send what, a warrant? And the Corridor Fleet, out of thousands of fleets ... it doesn't seem to be so mysterious to me, and I know of an old Solomani proverb as well: 'For want of a nail.' The Imperium is dying, simply put, and those that believe in it will watch their beliefs dissolve like smoke; so be it. For me, my mission, and what I want, like a Kurgulash; things will never change, here in the frontier, there will be the wounded and sick need tending to."

forbin

Post by forbin » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:20 pm

Elliott looks over at Fusil and Geris, meets theirs eyes, then gives a barely perceptible nod as if to say, "I approve. Let's make the offer now before she gets away." Greg, of course, pretty much knows exactly what Elliott is thinking. Pretty much exactly.

[OOC: Note to Self: If we ever novelize this campaign, this is the point where the CO or XO calls up Lit and tells him that 10-15 minutes of his attention are required...]
Last edited by forbin on Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

ducky

Post by ducky » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:11 pm

Greg nods, "I agree. What say everyone else?"
Alan | Greg Pike, gunner | 6 9 6 7 9 8

forbin

Post by forbin » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:54 pm

Something scratches at Elliott's subconscious. Some loose end or something. He reviews her CV, hoping it will hit him. It does.

"Oh... one other thing, Doctor. Your CV states that you've had experience serving as a steward. I've never known a doctor who was also a steward. How would that work aboard the Raven's Coin? I ask because we will probably be needing one upon occasion, and none of us are journeymen chefs, for sure."

Flonker

Post by Flonker » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:58 pm

forbin wrote:Something scratches at Elliott's subconscious. Some loose end or something. He reviews her CV, hoping it will hit him. It does.

"Oh... one other thing, Doctor. Your CV states that you've had experience serving as a steward. I've never known a doctor who was also a steward. How would that work aboard the Raven's Coin? I ask because we will probably be needing one upon occasion, and none of us are journeymen chefs, for sure."
Fusil chuckles. "El's threatened to cook. I've threatened to keelhaul him if he does"

dragoner

Post by dragoner » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:09 am

"I have worked as steward, on various ships over time, as well as it helping the beside manner of a Doctor. I love to cook, I even have my own knives, and I realized by the look of the ship it lacked a steward. My droid, MURGA, given to me by the IISS Medical Liaison Section, I have programmed to help as a steward, not just as a surgical tech; it helps also for it to have the skill in keeping areas sterile." She gives a bit of a mischievous grin. "It's is not so strange to be a Surgeon and a culinary aficionado ... both are good at slicing meat."