Raven's Coin Finances

dragoner

Raven's Coin Finances

Post by dragoner » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:50 am

Litnam: 1,010Cr
Elliot: 90,000Cr
Geris: 248,000Cr
Fusil: 55,000Cr

Some seem to have equipment expenses still included.

dragoner

Re: Raven's Coin Finances

Post by dragoner » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:41 am

If that means a bunch of randomly changing numbers, no; it would have been better to see what the original MO Cr's were, then adjust. But then that is me actually being an accountant (I have my certification in financial management).

forbin

Post by forbin » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:47 pm

I've already posted to the GM what I think I've spent.
I'm willing for that to be made public to the rest of the command team if everyone else is doing likewise.
I'd suggest we do so -- transparency makes for good, safe crewmates, and we want to have each other's tails covered when we go into bad situations!

Glad we have a real accountant. I've designed and built large-scale accounting systems before, but I'm hardly a journeyman bookkeeper. See my recent post, however, on how I think we should manage ship's finances in terms of:
  • buy-in of shares,
  • payback to ship vs. profits,
  • direct bonuses vs. dividends.
John B. | Elliott von Rossveldt, ship's CCS officer. | 2 5 9 B F B | 8 7 9 B F B

dragoner

Post by dragoner » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:14 pm

Noooo ... I don't want to be the accountant! :lol:

Though in nautical terms, what you have is a Demise Charter (which gives me mind for a new campaign name ... mmm Demise Charter ...)

How ever you want to work it, that is fine, I only plan on rough accounting, not getting bogged down in nickel and dime-ing everything to death.

A bareboat charter or demise charter is an arrangement for the hiring of a vessel whereby no administration or technical maintenance is included as part of the agreement. The charterer obtains possession and full control of the vessel along with the legal and financial responsibility for it. The charterer pays for all operating expenses, including fuel, crew, port expenses and P&I and hull insurance. In commercial demise chartering, the charter period may last for many years; and may end with the charterer acquiring title (ownership) of the ship. In this case, a demise charter is a form of hire-purchase from the owners, who may well have been the shipbuilders. Demise chartering is common for tankers and bulk-carriers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demise_charter

forbin

Post by forbin » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:12 pm

dragoner wrote:Noooo ... I don't want to be the accountant! :lol:
HA ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! "NOT IT!" Last one not to call it, is "it"!
dragoner wrote:Though in nautical terms, what you have is a Demise Charter (which gives me mind for a new campaign name ... mmm Demise Charter ...)
Cool! That's something I did not know!

BTW, it is a breath of fresh air to game with a group of folks with broad knowledge and good writing skills! We should edit this into a book or something when the campaign is done. I bet we could get it published!
dragoner wrote:How ever you want to work it, that is fine, I only plan on rough accounting, not getting bogged down in nickel and dime-ing everything to death.
Hooray!! :D
John B. | Elliott von Rossveldt, ship's CCS officer. | 2 5 9 B F B | 8 7 9 B F B

forbin

Post by forbin » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:21 pm

dragoner wrote:Litnam: 1,010Cr
Elliot: 90,000Cr
Geris: 248,000Cr
Fusil: 55,000Cr
Litnam has a disproportionately low amount of cash on hand compared to the rest of us, but he is a critical crew member. We might not even have been able to get the ship without him.

I therefore propose the following...

If we each are to "pay in" 90% of whatever we have left after personal equippage, that's going to take a huge bite out of his pocket cash. (No matter what percentage we pick, it will.) I propose we decide on a token amount for his buy in, and the rest of us each chip in some amount to buy his shares for him so he has a decent stake. The ship's fund will take care of his vacc suit for now (if he doesn't already own one) and he can repay the ship later with no interest charged.

dragoner

Post by dragoner » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:22 pm

forbin wrote:
BTW, it is a breath of fresh air to game with a group of folks with broad knowledge and good writing skills! We should edit this into a book or something when the campaign is done. I bet we could get it published!
Anybody who wants to write it is welcome to it. :)

Yes, I think we have a good group here, things seem to be shaping up nicely.

forbin

Post by forbin » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:22 pm

Ship's Team:

Below is a link to the "Ship's Equipment" thread where I posted my proposal for how we handle ship's finances.
Should I copy the text into this thread so we have it here for future reference? (I'd recommend doing so only if you guys approve of the proposal.)

Ship's Finance Handling

forbin

Post by forbin » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:14 am

Yes, I agree with your assessment of game balance, and figured that's why Lit is short on funds.

El does not have his whole CR 90k. GM has the exact number, but it is closer to 65-68k after subtracting the costs of clothing, personal equipment, and weapons. None of which I'm assuming are brand new... they're all stuff he's accumulated over the past 20 years of Navy, college, and Merchant Marines.

dragoner

Post by dragoner » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:17 am

If people have bought equipment, yes, it is supposed to be paid for, but chargen was like trying to herd wild cats.

forbin

Post by forbin » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:20 am

El has an estimated Cr 68,645 left over, subject to confirmation.

I'd heartily recommend that others compute or at least estimate what they've spent on equipment if they haven't already done so. We didn't get this stuff for free...