Raven's Coin Finances

forbin

Re: Raven's Coin Finances

Post by forbin » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:52 pm

Okay, I've gotten addicted to "running numbers" again. :lol:

If we invest everything in the ship's fund every month and make a 17% profit each month, we'll have 2.35 MCr when the bill comes due on 1111/001. Anything less than that and we won't make it, and it leaves us only 150 KCr to operate on, after the payment.

For us to never spend more than 50% of the ship's fund, we have to make between 23-24% profit on average, every run.

Stated differently, we have to make 184 KCr per month. Or, assume we alternate a week in J-space with a week in port(s) for a whole year, we have to make 84.7 KCr each jump. More if we have to slow down for any reason.

That tells me two things.
  1. We will certainly have to spend down the ship's fund to less than 50% its current value, more often than we'd like.
  2. We will have to mitigate that risk by taking other kinds of risk so we can receive bigger rewards.
John B. | Elliott von Rossveldt, ship's CCS officer. | 2 5 9 B F B | 8 7 9 B F B

Flonker

Post by Flonker » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:02 am

OK, I slipped a decimal point again. I was looking at the individual price of 550ish mil and my old glasses missed the decimal point so I thought it was 1% not .1%. Still looks like half a mil and change for maint.
Keven - Wyott Khade 876CB6 - "He did WHAT with a stick of butter?????"

forbin

Post by forbin » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:15 am

Half a mil for maint! I hope not!
Hopefully it's no more than 443 KCr/yr (okay, that's almost half a mil), or better yet 44.3 KCr for the overhaul.
John B. | Elliott von Rossveldt, ship's CCS officer. | 2 5 9 B F B | 8 7 9 B F B

dragoner

Post by dragoner » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:17 am

forbin wrote:So, let's assume the Navy offered the ship to us at a simple no-interest rate, and the cash price and the worth of the ship are both 44 MCr. (GM, please correct me if any of this is wrong! And I'll correct it here!).
Yes, it is a simple no interest rate loan (the Navy isn't in the banking business), but the total cash price that the maintenance figure is drawn from is closer to 400MCr (which the ship is due for in seven months).

Flonker

Post by Flonker » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:31 am

dragoner wrote:
forbin wrote:So, let's assume the Navy offered the ship to us at a simple no-interest rate, and the cash price and the worth of the ship are both 44 MCr. (GM, please correct me if any of this is wrong! And I'll correct it here!).
Yes, it is a simple no interest rate loan (the Navy isn't in the banking business), but the total cash price that the maintenance figure is drawn from is closer to 400MCr (which the ship is due for in seven months).
Do you do 'yearly maint' as in every year regardless of how much time the ship sits in port, or per 1 year's jumps, i.e., 26 jumps per year average?

dragoner

Post by dragoner » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:34 am

If it sat around, maybe not, but generally a year.

I think you guys might need to carry out a bold and daring plan for the acquisition of wealth and power. :shock:

Flonker

Post by Flonker » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:39 am

dragoner wrote:If it sat around, maybe not, but generally a year.

I think you guys might need to carry out a bold and daring plan for the acquisition of wealth and power. :shock:
Wealth, anyways...

At the moment, though, I feel an immenent barfight on the near horizon...

dragoner

Post by dragoner » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:51 am

Cries of “We should do this!”, become “We can do this!” to then “Let’s do this!” until wandering to the field office to buy a used ship at 10%, thumbprints and affidavits later to the Navy agent, they see the ship, now to a new cry of “What did we just do!” as they look over the ship. It is a Chameleon class commerce raider, named the Doppelgänger, written just aft of it’s nose; well worn, this one must have been taken off raiding duties to become a “milk cow” carrying supplies afield to other raider groups. It’s conversion included pulling the triple missile racks from it’s chin, to be replaced with a ramp and 50 tons of extra cargo space. The electrostatic camouflage hull coating, is rippled where battle damage had been repaired, as if the ship is quietly whispering “Action Not Words”.
It took a while for it to sink in. ;)

forbin

Post by forbin » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:41 am

All righty, then. Let's break into this dude's house and retrieve that "Lassiter"...

forbin

Post by forbin » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:37 am

BTW, I guess despite my "Not It!" call, that I'm going to be the accounting player.
We can treat that as separate from my character Elliott, or we can have him be the company's bookkeeper.
  1. I'll post a new topic, "Accounting" where we'll keep only the "bookkeeping" entries. No commentary there so it's clean to read.
  2. If we need commentary specific to those entries, we can add an "Accounting Discussion" topic.
  3. We might also need a topic, "Company Operations", It would be a mismash of company operating principles, company policies, and simple accounting principles. The difference between that and our current topic here is that anything posted in that topic is "official". For example, here we bounced back and forth between widely varying costs of a shipyard overhaul. There, we'd post the cost that the GM clarified. So it'd be a little more like the "Accounting" page. Clean. No discussions there, just the official numbers or explanations of how things are being done, for easy reference.
  4. I'll do the bookkeeping in Excel and keep it as simple as possible. I'll post updates in "code" display so it's monospaced and lines up nicely. If desired, I can also post files from time to time in any Excel-compatible format that folks desire.
I think that system will stay simple. If Excel causes me any pain, I can always switch to an old, small-business version of QuickBooks that I have, and do simple bookkeeping "for real." :geek:

Comments?

dragoner

Post by dragoner » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:49 am

Great. :)

I can split this topic, so that there is just the data, and have another for commentary. Sound good?