Company Operations Discussions

forbin

Company Operations Discussions

Post by forbin » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:32 pm

Discussions specifically about the posts in "Company Operations" go here.

Bookkeeping entries are kept in "Accounting".
Discussions about the bookkeeping entries go in "Accounting Discussion".

General discussions of these topics, and ship's finances in general, go in the old "Raven's Coin Finances" topic.
John B. | Elliott von Rossveldt, ship's CCS officer. | 2 5 9 B F B | 8 7 9 B F B

forbin

Stocks and Shares

Post by forbin » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:32 pm

I wrote in "Company Operations" --
The initial stockholders as of 1110/133 are considered to be the command team.
I'd like us to include Greg on the command team but didn't want to accidentally do it by fiat. Let me know yea/nay, and whether I should just edit the date to 135 (automatically granting it) or if we want do it in-game. If done as an in-game discussion, I'll post an amendment just like I'd do if we added a member a year from now.
John B. | Elliott von Rossveldt, ship's CCS officer. | 2 5 9 B F B | 8 7 9 B F B

forbin

Simple Accounting Procedure

Post by forbin » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:22 pm

The Simple Accounting Procedure is as much for my benefit as for anyone else's.
It's not as complicated as it might look! I can just follow it like a flowchart.

Note that I posted the procedure in "Company Operations" not in "Accounting". That's because Accounting is the actual books. The accounting procedure is a company procedure and is part of operations. I'm posting the discussion here because the discussion areas obviously mirror the topic areas where we do the actual documenting.

Note also I went for simplicity: there's just one fund, the "general fund." That means it will get bigger and bigger, and stock will get pricier, then we'll make a whopping payment on the ship and the numbers will get small again.

If folks don't like that, we can have a separate mortgage fund that we pay into from the general fund, and make the stocks only reflect the general fund. That will get complicated. For big expenditures, which we'll need to do to undertake daring things and get crazy profits, there often won't be enough in the general fund and we'll have to pay out of both funds. Then we'll have to figure out how much has to be put back into both funds. I don't recommend doing that unless we've got a good reason and someone's willing to help with the books.

forbin

Re: Company Operations Discussions

Post by forbin » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:42 pm

Glad you feel that way! That's my feeling as well.
I didn't want to just assume, especially since the guy who plays Greg is a longtime friend of mine.

I can envision some situations if a campaign runs for a long time and/or adds many players, where not every PC might be a part of the command team. Also, I wrote the procedures in-character to a degree: not particularly from Elliott's point of view, but certainly from the POV of the group. Elliott, Geris, Fusil, Lit, and Greg don't know that they are PCs and that Sen and Avi are NPCs. They just know they're all sophonts and that some are in the inside group, some are just employees, and some might be employees waiting to be accepted into the inner team.

forbin

Post by forbin » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:43 pm

madmike wrote:Player characters should be part of the command team certainly.
What say ye, Flonker and Commander Truestar>

Flonker

Post by Flonker » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:22 am

Sure, But let's roleplay it! :D
Keven - Wyott Khade 876CB6 - "He did WHAT with a stick of butter?????"

forbin

Post by forbin » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:08 am

Okay, so we'll do it in-character and add Greg, then Elliott (or his active agent on the computer, or whomever the heck is doing the bookkeeping in-game) will add him in with the proper notes in "Accounting" and possibly "Company Operations".