Raven's Coin Discussion

forbin

Re: Chameleon Class Commerce Raider

Post by forbin » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:23 am

dragoner wrote:As per sleeping in other places, look at life support rules.
Okay, understood. But for critical or secure ops what about throwing an inflat-a-bed in the computer room temporarily? It's on the pressurized main deck and is not isolated, so atmo is not a problem. Mightily inconvenient (like sleeping on a friend's couch or living room floor), but not taxing on life support, and fighting off a takeover attempt is more inconvenient than that.
John B. | Elliott von Rossveldt, ship's CCS officer. | 2 5 9 B F B | 8 7 9 B F B

dragoner

Post by dragoner » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:56 am

It is counting against life support.

forbin

Post by forbin » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:06 am

dragoner wrote:It is counting against life support.
Understood.
We'll have to solve the potential security situation of a physically separated crew some other way, then.
John B. | Elliott von Rossveldt, ship's CCS officer. | 2 5 9 B F B | 8 7 9 B F B

dragoner

Post by dragoner » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:30 am

The game uses a crude way of counting life support needs, but it is better than figuring it by liters of water/air etc. realistically, I wouldn't find that fun.

forbin

Post by forbin » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:11 pm

dragoner wrote:The game uses a crude way of counting life support needs, but it is better than figuring it by liters of water/air etc. realistically, I wouldn't find that fun.
Agreed. BTW, as prep for starting to GM again myself, I walked myself through a justification. During military use, main deck has berthing for 5, crew stations for 5 plus sickbay plus galley. So it can handle 7 people continuously no matter what their exertion levels. The wardroom seats 12, so expect 2 meetings a day plus 4 meals a day (yes, four: breakfast, lunch, dinner, and mid-rats for nighttime watchstanders).

Now, the math works out that an extra sleeper might fit into capacity. I wouldn't, however, bring that up to my players! :twisted: I'd say that the decks have independent life support systems for safety (and if asked about cross-connects, they're there, but they're either frozen or were a poor design). The main deck's life support just can't keep up with the additional continual load without a bunch of extra measures.

Sure, the second deck would then have independent life support to handle about 20 people. You could leave all the irises open between the decks and get some interchange, but not a lot. And if you're concerned about security or safety you're riding with all hatches and irises normally shut.

PS: The math I used is: (1 meeting of 2 hours, another 1 hour meeting, 45 minutes x 4 meals) x 12 people + (remaining hours) x 7 people = (6hrs x 12 people) + (18hrs x 7 people) = 198 person-hours of life-support per 24 hour period. That's 8.25 people, so the reserve capacity could probably handle an additional sleeper but maybe not for a whole week. Hey!! If you changed the estimates to 2 meetings of 45 minutes each, you get 180 person-hours capacity per day, or 7.5 people. Hah! There's solid justification. Dumb Naval architect! Cut the design margins razor thin on this class and got fired for it.

dragoner

Post by dragoner » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:07 pm

Life support, military crewed at 27, is a whopping 216000 Cr per month; at that, I would give plenty of leeway. To secure a station, the easiest solution would be to post a guard, esp so in having 10 troops on board. Having someone in the computer room, sleeping, would still count as an occupied cabin. Would sleeping in the computer room slowly erode their sanity? Maybe. Provide adequate security? ... :lol:

Flonker

Post by Flonker » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:08 pm

dragoner wrote:Life support, military crewed at 27, is a whopping 216000 Cr per month; at that, I would give plenty of leeway. To secure a station, the easiest solution would be to post a guard, esp so in having 10 troops on board. Having someone in the computer room, sleeping, would still count as an occupied cabin. Would sleeping in the computer room slowly erode their sanity? Maybe. Provide adequate security? ... :lol:
Um, no. 2k every other week per LBB2, 108K for 27.
Keven - Wyott Khade 876CB6 - "He did WHAT with a stick of butter?????"

dragoner

Post by dragoner » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:30 pm

Flonker wrote:
dragoner wrote:Life support, military crewed at 27, is a whopping 216000 Cr per month; at that, I would give plenty of leeway. To secure a station, the easiest solution would be to post a guard, esp so in having 10 troops on board. Having someone in the computer room, sleeping, would still count as an occupied cabin. Would sleeping in the computer room slowly erode their sanity? Maybe. Provide adequate security? ... :lol:
Doubled for double occupancy. But I did calc per crew, and not stateroom, 14 staterooms by 8000 = 112,000, +4000 for the Captain's single is 116,000; which gives +2 occupants. Actually it does come out to 108,000, so you are right. I think the 14th stateroom will be the four low berths.

Flonker

Post by Flonker » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:58 pm

dragoner wrote:
Flonker wrote:
Doubled for double occupancy. But I did calc per crew, and not stateroom, 14 staterooms by 8000 = 112,000, +4000 for the Captain's single is 116,000; which gives +2 occupants. Actually it does come out to 108,000, so you are right. I think the 14th stateroom will be the four low berths.
I calced at 27 persons, 4K/month. 108K. I didn't look at the staterooms, as some of my players used to ignore them and sleep wherever. :D

dragoner

Post by dragoner » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:03 pm

Rules per LBB2 are by occupied stateroom, so even carrying prisoners ups the life support costs.

Flonker

Post by Flonker » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:04 pm

dragoner wrote:Rules per LBB2 are by occupied stateroom, so even carrying prisoners ups the life support costs.
Yup, but for normal stateroom, you fill with quantity 1 warm body, so I've always calced by warm bodies. :D

Besides, my old players used to have their characters sleep wherever, not necessarily in their staterooms.