5/1/2211 Zhenya In Captivity

dragoner

5/1/2211 Zhenya In Captivity

Post by dragoner » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:20 pm

[ooc] This thread is for Bindoner to post in as the rescue party of the group puts their plans together, and acts.

In situ:

For Zhenya, in a snapshot of her captivity, unkind hands have searched her, removing her devices, after being led into a room, post space transport, this is her new abode. Two troopers remove her hood and cut the zip ties on her hands and feet. Seeing it's a plain old print-stone concrete room, a weak glow strip on the ceiling, there is folding cot against the wall, gallon jug of water, and a six pack of basic in bio-plastic bottles; facilities are in the form of a lidded plastic bucket. Her captors are not the dreaded black beret "Kosmicheskaya Pekhota" or Naval Space Infantry, but a couple of mercs, a man and a woman in careworn combat armor, where if one looks closely, there are non-faded areas where there might have been colonial forces patches. The woman speaks in a slightly fatalistic tone, "Well sister, these are your new digs, make the most of 'em, hopefully your friends will come to their senses and this will all be over soon enough."
Bindoner

Re: 5/1/2211 Zhenya In Captivity

Post by Bindoner » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:10 pm

Zhenya makes the effort to reign in emotion and the urge to rant, instead assuming a resigned attitude, like a politician required to tour a factory and chat to the workers.

"I assumed I was in the hands of those renegade IN prestupniki, but you do not seem like the sort to knowingly work for those carrion birds. So, are you pirates or a local 'business syndicate'?"
Terran 2nd Secretary, CA Junior Minister, Pirate Corporal 688BBB Age 34
Cash: 11,330Cr
Brawling 1, Bribery 1, Carousing 1, Comms 1, Dagger 1, Forgery 1, Gambling 1, Laser Carbine 1, Liaison 1, Streetwise 2, Vacc Suit 1, Zero-G 1
dragoner

Post by dragoner » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:30 pm

One merc flips the face shield up on his armor, taking a crumpled hand rolled cigarette out, and lighting it, the higher oxygen levels making it flare wildly, he gestures a bit wildly to put the flame out. "You want to take back the cover that God has torn from you?" His accent and looks East African, the name on his breast plate Amburo.

The woman opens her face plate as well, wrinkling her nose at the smoke. "Aleeki the philosopher." She states flatly, before addressing Zhenya: "We're mercs, we work for a living, unlike your INI (she pronounces it as a word - innie) pals who darted you, the Vijayans would get skittish if they found whole units working their turf probably." She sounds American, and her name tag says Jones. "You sound Russki, from down Procyon way, what's that colony on Ursae Majoris, Vladimir?" https://dragonersdomain.com/forum/viewt ... f=69&t=508
Bindoner

Post by Bindoner » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:16 pm

Zhenya keeps the tone light and bantering, though the words bear a somber meaning:

"Amburo? And Jones? Yevgenia Kurakina. Yes, my people are of Russian heritage, Yankee." * teasing grin * "I am afraid our acquaintance is likely to be be brief, since you are working for those INI vyrozhdayetsya. Whether my comrades pay the ransom or not I am going to be killed. Maybe not by you, but the there is no way the jackals who pay you will let me leave here alive." * looking at Amburo * "I accept my fate. But it was people, not the supernatural, that brought me to this place." * a cheerful ironic laugh * "At least I have the consolation that you will not long outlive me. There is a pattern. We meet their employees, we make a deal, we leave, and a Jump or two later the news-feeds accuse us of their murder. Ships crew, Marines, Mercs, whoever. Everyone who could talk about their schemes dies."

Adopting a confidential, comradely tone:

"This whole thing started with us taking a ticket for an INI job, you know. They tried to tidy us up with a rock from the sky back on Mu Cass, but we survived. You are part of a Merc unit too I assume? That is probably how they will tie up your loose ends, a 'rogue asteroid'. That or a salvo of nukes they can blame on moy Komandir. You look like ex-CA, so they will probably enjoy the hit. Maybe something out of the BC end of the acronym, for the fun of it. These upyri, ghouls, scavenging the corpse of our Alliance, I think it amuses them to hire us to do their dirty work then betray us. Kozlá bóysya spéredi, konyá -- szádi, a nekhoroshiy chelovéka -- so vsekh storón... You can prepare against obvious dangers, but you cannot predict the machinations of evil men."

"Even if you escape the tidy minds of the Gauleiters who have hired you, you will earn the enmity of my friends. They may not be able to save me, but they will surely take revenge. The people involved in the abduction and murder of Yevgenia Kurakina, I do not think things will go well for them."

A bitter smile: "Ironic I should end up in the hands of former confederates, working at the behest of the INI. I came here to see if there was a CA remnant worth joining. It seems I have my answer."

"Of course, I realise now, my problem was that I did not see that this is all about the money. I thought it was about justice and the opportunity to tilt the scales away from corruption. But it is really only about money, and the relentless pursuit of it. I only hope my comrades can keep it out of the hands of your employers. I would rather they send it down the well of the star than hand it over to that gang of krovososushchiye bandity."

"The INI types who snatched me, they are not working for the government, or even the Fleet really. It is just a greedy Admiral and his criminal gang. The authorities are already gathering evidence against them, and considering how much we have learned as fugitives I doubt their conspiracy has long left to run."

The bright facade fades a little, then Zhenya perks up and asks:

"I don't suppose there is any vodka to be had? Vazhno ne to, kak dolgo ty prozhil, a kak khorosho zhil. It is better to live well than long. We might as well enjoy our brief acquaintance."
Terran 2nd Secretary, CA Junior Minister, Pirate Corporal 688BBB Age 34
Cash: 11,330Cr
Brawling 1, Bribery 1, Carousing 1, Comms 1, Dagger 1, Forgery 1, Gambling 1, Laser Carbine 1, Liaison 1, Streetwise 2, Vacc Suit 1, Zero-G 1
dragoner

Post by dragoner » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:35 am

"I got whiskey." The woman pulls a hip flask from the cargo pocket of the camouflage fabric BDU pant on her armor. It's the same Stoketown stuff in a bio-plastic zero G squeeze bottle. She takes a squirt and passes it to her partner, who takes a squirt before passing it to Zhenya, "Admiral Hipper", he says with a smile.

"You must have been a politician. You call me Rocky, short for Cirocco, he's Aleeki. That's quite a spiel you have there."

"Use your best laid politics, or I'll lay your soul to waste." Aleeki ads, the raw smoke from his cigarette wafting around as to obfuscate the issue.

"I'm not sure the song goes like that. Anyways, I'm not sure I got all of that, the BC end of the acronym? So you were the folks involved with the Asteroid hitting Mu Cass? Funky business that." She takes another swig, before going on. "Stealing from the mafia is never that good, they have a rep to uphold, I guess if they get wiped out, maybe not so good for us, as our company is angling for more work out of the Navy, if this goes right. I was talking to another merc, he was just doing protective work for a science team, no having to shoot people, only keeping them from getting hurt, sounds nice. Yeah, the war, we were once colonials ..." She sort of drifts off.

Aleeki adds as he takes a hit off the bottle and then his cigarette, "I saw a movie, The Young Lions, a war movie, and there was line, about after all the legs and arms being cut off, what are you fighting for? It's like dat, once were a Republic militia too, and the Earth our frens an stuff, all snuggly together, before the war came and ripped the blanket off that dream. A thousand years ago is how it seems, plus da Eart tis more people and production than all the rest of us combined, what were people thinking, all that pain and loss fur nuthin'."

"N'yeah." Rocky says, with a sigh. "I would not be so sure they will kill you, maybe leave you alive and kill you partners, and you to cry with ash on your face and tell the tale. As far as it all, yeah, we kept the gun and threw away the song, Vijaya ain't so bad, trying to repair their standing, not trying to tussle with this new Imperium, I have heard various things, some unsettling, like Apollo corp trying to revive that military print project that the Republic outlawed, printing soldiers, except some 'natural' fractal pattern of 144, grown on some colony world. Marston, the big Colonial commander, he was one of those earlier prints, not a natural man, some say he's up in the Arcturus Region, others say he's just a zone away in Capella, planning something big. I know if Apollo brought out some new soldier type, it might not be so good for us freelancers."

"Push out all of naturals, eventually, we be like ants." Aleeki looks grim.
dragoner

Post by dragoner » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:45 pm

Without Zhenya replying, Aleeki has a final statement, that the war's roots probably go way back, those for whatever was fine there, they stayed, those that with nothing left to lose, got on the ships.