5/13/2211 The Regular Army O

dragoner

Re: 5/13/2211 The Regular Army O

Post by dragoner » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:25 pm

"The Peoples Congress, often called the Beautiful Peoples Congress, and the Council of Ministers, or Council of Adonis, not so unlikely of a nick, because just looking at pictures of the past: the starving, the aged, the infirm; we are beyond that, you might as well compare them to medieval peasants, we are that much different. A non gene-fixed person is now an oddity. From the Council of Adonis, the Ministers of Science, Industry, Culture, arose an Adonai, Joaninha, a strong hand to guide us, from of course the Commerce Minister, former CEO of Apollo Corp. It is a human frailty to trade loyalty for security, and that is where the Republic fell upon its own sword; with Joaninha's experience at management, now to manage us all. A brilliant move as well to declare an Empire, the word holding such past glories, immanent for the future."

"Not that any of them needed to do anything, with our benevolent GAI (Generalized Artificial Intelligence), Gaia, to guide us." Huli wipes her lips with a cloth serviette, before pushing away her half eaten salad.

"Now of course most are familiar with Apollo Corp's 'Minerva' program through their Demeter subsidiary, trying to make perfect military people, built on the the earlier Vargr or Aslan national programs. Minerva ended not because making perfect people failed, but for the fear that this is all there would need to be, our replacements: print and programmed people, all watched over by the Godlike machine."

"So of course with it's former CEO de-facto Empress now in control, it's rumored that the Apollo Corp is building upon that an entire world of warriors, Project Sparta, and we all know how a military caste for this Imperium is an even greater woe to humanity. The project is being carried out in secrecy in the 11 Leonis Minoris system, Pollux subsector; I would hope to find someone courageous enough to be willing to slip in through the back way, and then expose this project as another threat. Even if humanity is to be ruled, it's not without guidelines, and this will strike against Joaninha as well. I can offer 50,000 Cr, for the trip, maybe more with expenses?" She does look at Cal, almost as if feeling his inward sigh.

Bindoner

Post by Bindoner » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:34 pm

"I am unfamiliar with that system, and the difficulties of reaching it. This is something my companion here, and other technically minded crew members deal with. I am just the person who talks to strangers."

"We operate as a democracy, of sorts, so I cannot assent to the mission without consultation anyway. It seems like an interesting and important investigation though, and I will advocate for it. If you are right, it would be my duty to assist you."

"Of course, as I said, our ship is in dock for some time yet, so there will be time to discuss things properly."

"While we wait for the work to be completed we had an excursion or two planned. It seems, from your recent reporting, that you have quite good access here. Perhaps you could advise us on reaching locations away from the usual tourist itinerary?"
Terran 2nd Secretary, CA Junior Minister, Pirate Corporal 688BBB Age 34
Cash: 12,130Cr
Brawling 1, Bribery 1, Carousing 1, Comms 1, Dagger 1, Forgery 1, Gambling 1, Laser Carbine 1, Liaison 2, Streetwise 2, Vacc Suit 1, Zero-G 1

dragoner

Post by dragoner » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:42 pm

"It is an unfamiliar system, I think they have meant it that way, in an area of subsectors that border the Procyon, corporate zone, what thin reedy systems that offer a gateway to a lush frontier of G type stars, it would be a shame if they were able to build a corporatocracy there."

"So what do you have in mind, your proposal?"

Bindoner

Post by Bindoner » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:29 pm

"Your proposal is for a distant system, mine is local. I would rather discuss the details in a less public place."

"In outline, we need to reach a location temporarily outwith government control. Our current plan of approach is.. dramatic. If you were able to provide a subtle method to reach the location then you would be present for quite a 'scoop'. "

"There is another story I know some of, a tale of INI skulduggery. There are a couple of details I need to pin down before I can tell it, witnesses to question, but it is exactly your sort of thing."
Last edited by Bindoner on Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brawling 1, Bribery 1, Carousing 1, Comms 1, Dagger 1, Forgery 1, Gambling 1, Laser Carbine 1, Liaison 2, Streetwise 2, Vacc Suit 1, Zero-G 1

dragoner

Post by dragoner » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:36 pm

"Those both sound interesting, shall we take a walk on the beach? That seems safe enough, unless you have another idea."

Bindoner

Post by Bindoner » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:03 pm

"A walk on the beach, yes, that would be delightful."

As the little group leave the resort Zhenya removes the battery from the comm and puts the two items in different pockets, gives Calson a meaningful nod indicating he do the same, flashes a conspiratorial smile at Huli:

"So we are not interrupted."

Once we reach a lonely place, close to the sound of the sea:

"We have a client who wants us to reach a certain location on the other side of the highlands, east of Dharmasiriwardene. It is currently in rebel hands, but not for long. We must get there first. Do you have the contacts to get us to a strategic installation in such a place?"

dragoner

Post by dragoner » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:08 pm

"I'm beginning to think everyone knows of the up coming offensive. I am embedded with the flying pincer force, coming in from the east, and sweeping west towards Yerkes Creek. This installation ... the fusion power plant? What are you planning on doing?"

Bindoner

Post by Bindoner » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:19 pm

"Neutralise the asset for easy take-over by your pincer. We are to deny the power to any local defenses. Sensors, comms, everything without an organic back-up. Non-destructive, of course. As our client is a commercial entity rather than a state organ, and we are not soldaty, I believe it is more in the nature of a repossession than a seizure. If you arrive as an embed you will miss the moment."

"As you say, everyone seems to know of this offensive. Perhaps that is why we are going in first."

dragoner

Post by dragoner » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:32 pm

[ooc] Not going to tell Huli about inserting a virus into the power plant's control computer? :lol:

Huli is pretty smart, quick to figure things out, and difficult to deceive; this much Zhenya and Calson can tell.

"So you are offering a chance for me to go with? I'm thinking I might decline that, as the commercial entity would probably frown on publicity for what it's doing. Honestly I think this offensive is going to fizzle, the guerillas will retreat back into the hills, bury their weapons, and come back after they are gone. The Vijayans will declare a victory, and then go home, cutting Pryp'yat loose, the Highlands won't be able to maintain control out here, in the end it won't care either. It will become a morass of Vijayan, both north and south, corporate, and local interests. Personally, I am ready to leave, it's pretty, except also petty, and basically boring."

hardrocks

Post by hardrocks » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:40 am

After pocketing his comm. Calson Accompanies the ladies on their morning constitutional, listening and watching.
Calson: 78A996
Skills: Auto Rifle 2, Brawling 1, Comp 1, Electronics 2, Engineer 1, Nav 2, Pilot 1 Shotgun 1, Vacc suit 1, Zero G 1, Streetwise 1.

Rojo Ortega

Post by Rojo Ortega » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:02 am

Rojo lets the table see his drawing.

A man sits at a table by himself, but with two plates of food. He is looking over his right shoulder. Only the extreme profile of his face can be seen, and there are hints to indicate he must be smiling. Behind him, the object of his attention is the implied form of a woman—walking towards him. With minimal gestures, Rojo has attempted to show her joyful connection to the man. They are both older. And, they are in love.

If one looked at the table now, they would see the couple enjoying their meal together, laughing and talking.

"I try to find the familiar moment."

Rojo looks back at his drawing and shrugs.

When Calson makes his remark, Rojo quickly drafts a completely unflattering caricature, and holds it up for the amusement of all.
Then, putting his sketchpad away, he accepts Zhenya's offer to join for lunch.

Rojo is unsettled by Huli's story of Apollo Corp's aspirations, but even more disturbed by her nonchalant take on the local conflict.
If nothing is going to change, why not let sleeping dogs lie.

To Huli,
"Do most locals feel like this? That is all posturing, and once the dust settles, things will just return back to normal. Is that what everyone is waiting for? The big dogs to go home?"
Martian Scout: Taki Aka Ortega ("Rojo") Age: 38
UPP: 76AA67
Skills: Admin-2, Air/Raft-1, Gunnery-1, Electronics-2, Jack-of-Trades-1, Mechanical-1, Navigation-1, Pilot-1