Help for EvilDM

forbin

Re: Help for EvilDM

Post by forbin » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:09 am

As usual, you meet the most interesting people when doing interesting hobbies... such as RPG-ing, or photography, or target shooting, or restoring and playing old Theatre organs...
John B. | Elliott von Rossveldt, ship's CCS officer. | 2 5 9 B F B | 8 7 9 B F B

dragoner

Post by dragoner » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:36 am

Mostly custom homes, palaces for the rich in California, etc.; not too exciting.

forbin

Post by forbin » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:22 am

Wow! More cross-over interests (okay, by proxy this time).
I'll bet he is a member of ATOS - the American Theatre Organ Society.

Theatre organs are just plain cool. They are synthesizers based on the technology available in 1899. Their intent was to replace the house orchestra (!!) found in larger movie palaces of the day, for accompanying the silent films.

I started playing organ when I was about 11-12 or so. For a kid who wanted to be a rocket scientist, an instrument with 2-3 keyboards, a pedalboard, and the ability to change what combination of "instruments" played (with a huge variety of combinations available) was just far more awesome than a piano!

As I've gotten involved in the restoration work, I've seen that it also is awesome beyond belief. A combination of really old school electrical relays (in original installations), long runs of signal cables, really beefy DC for flipping the stop action (electro)magnets (SAMs) in the console, plus woodworking, leatherworking, pneumatics, and amazingly clever-but-simple mechanical engineering to achieve certain sounds.

Can you tell how much fun I have with these things?
John B. | Elliott von Rossveldt, ship's CCS officer. | 2 5 9 B F B | 8 7 9 B F B

forbin

Post by forbin » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:55 pm

That's what auto-tune is for! :lol: