C.J. Cherryh

forbin

C.J. Cherryh

Post by forbin » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:29 pm

Commander Truestar wrote:LOL, Carolyn would laugh. . . . I can ask her directly, but I doubt she's aware of his influences unless he's thanked her directly.
So, you're actually friends with C. J. Cherryh?

I met her once at DeepSouthCon when it was held in Atlanta in the late 1970's. Maybe more than that, but certainly no more than 3-4 times at cons.

If I can recall correctly, she was at a Sunday "dead dogs" party when Robert Lynn Aspirin told the funniest "airport problem" story EVER, regarding his return from WorldCon when it was held in Australia. Ask her if she remembers that story. If she does, get her to tell it, since she can probably do the humor more justice than I can (especially with me being limited to online).

If not, I'll attempt to retell it here, because it is worth hearing.
John B. | Elliott von Rossveldt, ship's CCS officer. | 2 5 9 B F B | 8 7 9 B F B

forbin

Re: C.J. Cherryh

Post by forbin » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:31 pm

It is so amazing to hear of people that I've known in the past, right here on the forum! We definitely have quite a bit of crossover here!

So you know Leslie Fish? I'm sure she doesn't remember me; last time I saw her was more than 30 years ago!

Do you know Mike Liebmann? We've been friends since, oh, maybe 1977? He's remained very active in filking all these years.

And how about Joe Celko?

I don't know if he's a filker, but he's been active in SF fandom for a LONG time. The guy looks like the living embodiment of "Ming of Mongo" -- bald, black goatee, piercing eyes. One of the most sinister-looking guys I've ever known, and one of the nicest. He and I met at my very FIRST con in 1975: Benecia, a Trek con in Atlanta. I was 13, he was about 20. Our paths have crossed repeatedly over the years, not only in fandom but professionally as well. My faculty advisor in college (after the Navy) was a good friend of his. And Joe and I spoke at some of the same software engineering conventions back in the 1990's. (He's a SQL guru. I'm a developer and was an OOA/OOP guru at the time.)
John B. | Elliott von Rossveldt, ship's CCS officer. | 2 5 9 B F B | 8 7 9 B F B

Flonker

Post by Flonker » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:44 pm

I met Marion Zimmer Bradley and Poul Anderson at two different Earthcons in Cleveland. Marion was having a severe bad hair week, and it put me off her books for years. Poul was a quiet, deliberate talker, he kept hunching over a bit like he felt he was Lurch or something. My autographs of both of them went up in a housefire a couple years ago.
Keven - Wyott Khade 876CB6 - "He did WHAT with a stick of butter?????"

dragoner

Post by dragoner » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:54 pm

Read Cherryh's Merchanter's Luck just recently, awesome book.

forbin

Post by forbin » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:53 pm

Yes, I read that one a long time ago. Now I'm gonna have to re-read it.
As I recall, it was excellent.

dragoner

Post by dragoner » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:14 am

I bought the first run paperback, I found a bookstore with a basement filled with used sci-fi, I'll buy them and go sit on a couch in a local café to read them.