16, 128
17, 256
18, 512
19, 1024
20, 2048
21, 4096
22, 8192
23, 16384

So in any given market, or random find would be a 0.125:1 at TL6, and at TL23 16384:1.
dragoner wrote:Probably the kids would take it, like a baby blanket, your first caretaker robot.

Gratuitous spacecraft pic - I think it is the MacArthur from "Mote in God's Eye":

dragoner

Re: Futuristic Sci-Fi Traveller

Post by dragoner » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:58 pm

dragoner wrote:
hiro wrote:How would increased longevity affect reproduction?
It would follow the normal path of decreased fertility, all of this assumes the rejuvenation I wrote about in the longevity thread, so if you were 250 years old after four rejuv's, you could have multiple children and multiple generations, a family tree would be quite different.
Will medical technology enable safe and reliable birth control?
Yes.
Would people have the choice of surrogate mothers or alternate means of child bearing?
Depending, I think by a certain point, it would be normal to just use an artificial uterus and hormone shots near to delivery.
What percentage would choose natural childbirth or surrogates?
As above, as the TL of the society increased, the use of artificial means would increase. Even if someone wanted to go through natural childbirth, they would not be stopped, the hospital is just an ambulance ride away if something goes wrong. Some might go for prints or clones anyway, organizations might use prints and clones as contract workers as well.
How old will a woman still be able to conceive? Will longevity treatments postpone menopause?
I would say similar to the current cycle of aging, and then just start again after rejuve.
dragoner wrote:
Unlike grandma, the nannybot can be upgraded, and the memory banks can be wiped clean of embarrassing anecdotes.
There can also be "Odi" type care robots like from Humans, even as they fail, their owners won't want to give them up.

dragoner

Post by dragoner » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:00 am

dragoner wrote:
hiro wrote:
Am I right in understanding what you're proposing, that the process of aging would not change, you would simply have the choice to reset your bodies age every X years?
Basically you go to a rejuve center and get "regrown", somewhat like a force grown clone except it is internal, or the way stem cells can be grown into heart cells and they start beating in the petri dish (we are almost there now, pro-longing the lifespan of tissue is problematic in that the deterioration is often environmental); say 18 weeks, a week per year to grow a new you. You exit rejuve as an 18 year old, which also works for the chargen in that it could be reasoned that if someone was down on their luck, they could go to a service and sign up for 4 years to get it done. Maybe not, still thinking on that.
dragoner wrote:There is an outlet valve in the colonies, but yes, there would be dynasties of wealth and power; not that there isn't now.
dragoner wrote:Image

I need to work on the maps, or a map, so much to do.
dragoner wrote:All of the above, really. Even on settled worlds, people will leave because they would get sick of the other people in that culture. Which is another interesting thought, the culture gap would be pretty vast with more multi-generationals.

dragoner

Post by dragoner » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:01 am

It is. The trick is to some how find a map in it. Though I'm not exactly sure I want the setting to be there, still letting everything roil in my mind. I figure at some point the ideas will all settle and something will grow out of it, fingers crossed. Pics like that are kind of meditation, feels right.