5/23/2211 Suborbital Trajectory

dragoner

5/23/2211 Suborbital Trajectory

Post by dragoner » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:31 pm

The evening of May 23rd, 2211
Frontier Buccaneers by Johnson Ting.jpg
Frontier Buccaneers by Johnson Ting.jpg (220.81 KiB) Viewed 1383 times
T - 3 days to the offensive. Purvis appears like a ghost to give final instructions from Nigel. "Get there with enough time to download the program Nigel gave you. The offensive 'officially' begins at 0427 ..." Purvis stops to sigh at the military mindset, "If you get there by one, you should be fine, the program shouldn't take you that long to run, but dealing with security, it would be nice to have a buffer. Your flight clearance is AFN 213, and if challenged, answer Alfa Foxtrot November Two One Three Actual, Over. So the army knows its own. With that, I believe our association is over, unless there is anything else?"

Everyone is in the suite to hear this from Purvis, and for final planning before the assault.

Bindoner

Re: 5/23/2211 Suborbital Trajectory

Post by Bindoner » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:07 pm

"You have clearance for a flight straight to the target? We were planning a staged emergency, so the rebel defences would not engage us. A crashing vessel attracts no missiles."
Terran 2nd Secretary, CA Jr Minister, Pirate Corporal 688BBB Age 34
Cash: 12,130Cr
Brawling 1, Bribery 1, Carousing 1, Comms 1, Dagger 1, Forgery 1, Gambling 1, Gauss Rifle 1, Liaison 2, Recon 1, Streetwise 2, Vacc Suit 1, Zero-G 1

dragoner

Post by dragoner » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:17 pm

Bindoner wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:07 pm
"You have clearance for a flight straight to the target? We were planning a staged emergency, so the rebel defences would not engage us. A crashing vessel attracts no missiles."
"There was always clearance from the army, not the rebels. Your idea may work, I don't have a clue about that." He responds dryly.

Bindoner

Post by Bindoner » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:10 pm

"Once we have installed the software is there any requirement to keep control of the facility? It would be better to infiltrate, upload the package and exfiltrate than have to defend the building against counterattack until the government forces arrive. Assuming they do."

"Also, do we know how long the installation of this program will take?"
Brawling 1, Bribery 1, Carousing 1, Comms 1, Dagger 1, Forgery 1, Gambling 1, Gauss Rifle 1, Liaison 2, Recon 1, Streetwise 2, Vacc Suit 1, Zero-G 1

Bindoner

Post by Bindoner » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:52 pm

Zhenya addresses the crew:

"Here is my outline of a plan. We fly as though making for orbit. We fake an emergency, bringing us down over the lake northwest of Yerkes Creek, out of sight of it. It is a large lake, we can land forty K away, over the horizon. I would like to rig some device that makes smoke as we come down.

Once we are down we should deploy a long range drone, perhaps two, so we can see the target properly.

While the drone is operating we can move closer with the Leshy, flying at wave-top height to avoid air-search radar.

When we have a clear view of what is there we can select a point to gain entry, hopefully by stealth. If we can reach the control building without alerting the defences I will be happy. We have good optics, they should give us an advantage.

If there appears to be no hope of a stealthy approach I suggest staging a diversionary attack with a a couple of people so the main team can make their move. Perhaps the diversion ought to have the air-jeep, for mobility. If we mount the Energy Weapon on it they will have considerable hitting power. It is an unarmoured vehicle though. Perhaps it is better to keep that on the Leshy, use it as a gunship."

Having thrown out the ideas Zhenya looks around the crew:

"I am not a graduate of Voyennoy Akademii., so I would like to have your thoughts. Together we will make a plan."

dragoner

Post by dragoner » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:23 pm

Bindoner wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:10 pm
"Once we have installed the software is there any requirement to keep control of the facility? It would be better to infiltrate, upload the package and exfiltrate than have to defend the building against counterattack until the government forces arrive. Assuming they do."

"Also, do we know how long the installation of this program will take?"
"I think I remember holding it until the army arrived, less suspicious that way I suppose. I don't know how long the 'firmware update' will take."

Bindoner

Post by Bindoner » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:51 pm

"Then we should think about preparing the bridge to the settlement for demolition. This is job for the air-jeep party after we secure the facility."

Legion

Post by Legion » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:47 am

Leon mulls over Zhenyas plan, it seems familiar, similar to a very old Earth movie where a bunch of rebels attacked a fortified enemy installation with the aide of giant teddy bears........Star something, he cant quite remember.

Its a plan though, not a bad plan.

"When we crash they will send their own drones out, their own search and rescue? perhaps we should leave something for them to find or they will continue to look for us?" Leon ponders on. "perhaps we should sacrifice the Leshy?"
Skills: Computer 2, Electronics 1, Laser Carbine 2, Navigation 1, Pilot 3, Vacc Suit 1 Streetwise 1

Bindoner

Post by Bindoner » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:11 pm

"When we crash they will send their own drones out, their own search and rescue? perhaps we should leave something for them to find or they will continue to look for us?" Leon ponders on. "perhaps we should sacrifice the Leshy?"
"They may search, but I doubt it will be an SAR team. Salvage and loot, perhaps. The reason I suggest a fake emergency is to disguise our arrival. If we fly straight to the target it will be an obvious attack, drawing a response directly to us. If we appear to come down accidentally miles from our target there will be a smaller response, looking for a crashed vessel in an area we have already left."

"We could jettison some debris on the lake to simulate a crash site, that is a good idea. Abandoning our Ship's Boat though, our only reliable means of escape, that I will not do. Neither will Czernobog. We have already cost it one 'Boat, when we recovered the Rover, which we have only just replaced. Another loss it will not easily forgive I think, eh XO?."

After exchanging a look with Calson Zhenya looks at the rest of the crew:

"That was before you joined us. Replacing a lost craft is not simple, and certainly not cheap. Also, we are in a complicated situation. Our ship has autonomy, to a degree, and is better regarded as a partner than a mere conveyance."

"That limited autonomy might be useful though. The Leshy can manoeuvre on its own. We do not have to leave a pilot with it."

dragoner

Post by dragoner » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:22 am

Scree, Grack, and Chir are all attentive to the plan, Grack will have on the CES and ACR taken from the Yag Marine, Scree, a Shotgun and CES, Chir, CES and autopistol.

Elton, Calso, and Rojo?

vonPilsner

Post by vonPilsner » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:49 am

"I wish we had more time, we could just arrange for them to capture (or hell, just ship them) some computer equipment or a robot that was already infected..."

Smiles weakly...

"I really don't want any of us to get shot."

"We can make smoke easy enough with mineral oil and paraffin, we can use some waste oil to add dark color to the smoke. It will burn at a low temperature and won't hurt the Leshy; just need a tank, tubing, and a pump. I'm sure one of the more mechanically inclined of us could work up a simple electric igniter."

"Hell, if we crash... uh, pretend to crash a distance away, maybe the diversion team could just drive back to the Leshy once the counterattack begins use it to evac the team when needed."
Elton Bishop
Human Male, Age 30 UPP: 9C9766
Scout 2 terms, Rogue 1 term
Pilot-2, JoT-1, Air/Raft-1, Gun Cbt (Carbine)-1, Gunnery-2, Streetwise-1, Gambling-2, Brawling-1, Computer-1